Help Jackie Support Hearing First Steps
$2.00 from every book is automatically donated to Barbara / Hearing First Steps to continue to do hearing tests, assist in obtaining medical attention, educate on ear care and to supply hearing aids.
Contact Barbara Knight on Facebook by clicking here.
Over 17,000 children and adults are suffering from hearing loss in Timor-Leste, a small war-ravaged island off the coast of Australia and Indonesia where the Timorese people have endured incomprehensible anguish. Hearing First Steps, a non-profit organisation is dedicated to helping thousands of hearing-impaired Timorese on this small, poverty-stricken island. The main factors contributing to the high number of hearing issues include:
- Women not eating properly during pregnancy – their diet typically consists of rice which is nutrient poor, causing severe malnutrition in new-borns.
- The use of chicken feathers or sticks to clean their ears, causing ear infections, perforations and hearing loss.
- Young and older males supporting their families by diving for fish without equalizing their ears, which often causes the ear drums to rupture.
- Poor sanitation and water conditions which often lead to illnesses, infections that can result in hearing loss.
- Decades of fighting for independents, resulting in thousands of Timorese suffering damage to the middle and inner ear.
Please help us do our part to provide a basic life necessity for these lovely children.